Grothman & Associates,S.C.  Land Surveyors GROTHMAN & ASSOCIATES

Service Area
What is GPS?
About GA
Contact Us

P.O. Box 373
625 E. Slifer
Portage, WI 53901
(608) 742-7788

A person may have occasion to employ a Land Surveyor only once in a lifetime. Since such employment is so infrequent, the average person is not aware of the logical steps to be followed when employing a Land Surveyor.

To help you to know the steps to follow, the answers to a few common questions are contained below.

Grothman & Associates,S.C.  Land Surveyors

What is a Land Surveyor?

A Professional Land Surveyor is a person who has qualified by education and experience, and who has passed an examination for registration required by the State of Wisconsin to practice Land Surveying in Wisconsin.

When might I need a Survey?

  • When buying or selling land, the location of which is not clearly defined on the ground.
  • Before land is divided.
  • If a lending institution requires a survey.
  • If a line or corner is not defined.
  • Before building close to a line.
  • Before a lot is conveyed from a larger tract.
  • Before developing the property.
  • When you believe someone has built on your property.

How much will a Survey cost?

Fees of Surveyors are on a level with other professions. The Surveyor's fees are dependent upon the size of the tract and other factors, including the terrain and vegetation, accessibility, and if reliable survey monuments exist in the area. Therefore, the Surveyor will estimate the approximate cost of the survey for you prior to commencing the work. However, do not depend on the lowest priced survey to be the best survey. Obtain the services of a reputable Surveyor.

What can a Surveyor do for me?

  • Advise you whether you need a survey or not.
  • Examine your deed and adjoining deeds for problems.
  • Find and mark corners and property lines.
  • Establish new corners and property lines.
  • Survey subdivisions.
  • Make contour maps.
  • Cooperate with your attorney, title insurer, realtor, banker, architect, and engineer.
  • Locate improvements such as: wells, buildings, fences, right-of-ways, encroachments, etc.
  • Appear in court as an expert witness.

What does the Surveyor need from me?

The more information you can furnish the Surveyor, the more you may expedite the Surveyor's work. Such information includes:

  • The purpose of the survey.
  • A copy of your legal description from a reliable source.
  • Location of any known property corners.
  • Information about adjoining land owners.
  • Information about disagreements over corners and lines.
  • Agreement as to who pays and when.

What should I receive from the Professional Land Surveyor?

  • Plat or plats showing all desired information.
  • A description of the survey suitable for deed use.
  • Services which serve the purpose for which they were intended.

How can I obtain the services of a licensed Land Surveyor?

  • Ask someone who has employed a competent Land Surveyor.
  • Consult with your attorney, realtor, banker, or title insurer.
  • Look in the yellow pages under Surveyor-Land.
  • Obtain a list of Professional Land Surveyors in your area free of charge from the Wisconsin Professional Land Surveyor's Association.

What if I have a complaint about a Surveyor's work?

  • Consult with the Surveyor and try to reach an agreement.
  • If you still have a problem, contact the Wisconsin Professional Land Surveyor's Association.

Grothman & Associates,S.C. Land Surveyors GROTHMAN & ASSOCIATES, S.C.
P.O. Box 373, 625 E. Slifer
Portage, WI 53901
(608) 742-7788

2005 Grothman & Associates, S.C. All rights reserved.